To prevent constipation associated with surgical proccedures, please increase intake
of fluids, fruit juices and fiber.
1. Night before Egg Retrieval: DO NOT EAT ANYTHING AFTER 9 PM OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER
MIDNIGHT. This includes water,gum and mints.
2. 12 hours before Egg Retrieval: DO NOT SMOKE
3. AM of Retrieval: DO NOT WEAR perfume, make up, jewelry or contact lenses.
4. Children are not permitted in the operating/recovery room - do not bring them to
the clinic this day.
Semen Collection for Egg Retrieval:
The semen specimen must be obtained through mastrubation only. To prevent contamination
from bodily flids of the partner (i.e. saliva/vaginal secretions), hands and penis must be washed throroughly before collection.
The specimen should be collected in a sterile container at the clinic or transported to the clinic at body temperature with
one hour of collection. Label specimen with male partner's name on the side of the cup --- DO NOT label the lid.
Post Operative Information:
1. Do NOT drive a care o operate and heavy machinery for the next 8 hours.
An adult should be with you for the remainder of the day.
2. You may be slightly sore for the next few daysbut this will subside. If you need
medication for pain you may take 2 Tylenol every 4 hours, do not exceed 8 Tyleno; in a 24 hour period.
3. You may have scant spotting from the vagina but should not experience bleeding
as if having a period. Report bleeding if more than spotting.
4. Eat lightly for you next meal, avoid spicy and/ or high fat food, and them resume
normal meal patterns.
5. You should shower only. No bath or hot tubs (spas).
6. Pelvic rest (no intercourse, no tampons).
7. If you feel warm, take your temperature. If it is above 100 degrees, please report.
8. Report difficulty eating, dringing, or urinating.
9. Maintain a good intake of fluids and fiber to prevent constipation.